Sunday 21 April 2019

The Major Happy 2018 Tour Diary 'Socks On'

Hello to all... wherever in the world you may be... be you a Rutles Fan, a fan of me (God forbid!), a fan o music or a person who just likes to control the wind rushing through their scalp via the means of an electrically controlled device... (a fan). Enough of all this..

Late April 2018, a lovely man named David Christie of the Doo Dah Diaries contacted me prior to the upcoming 'Major Happy Tour', to ask if I would write a little every day as I went from town to town in a van, in the Rutles, staying in Premier Inns. (See how many 'Ins' / 'Inns' there were?! Answers, on a postcard.. I'm always on the move, there's no address, sorry!) This was for his volumes of 'Doo Dah Diaries' which he stocks volumes and volumes of about and connected to the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.. and sells to anyone interested. So get your copies now!

I accepted his request, thinking have I bitten off more than I want to chew. I wrote a little every day.

Finding time everyday when I was mentally able became a little struggle at times as fatigue is certainly part of everyday tour life and you can easily just forget to as well.

But, I seemed to have covered most of it, with a couple of diary dates covered by my good friend Jay Goodrich on bass.

I love taking pictures as well. When I see something that interests my mind I take a snap, so have documented a bunch of different moments that are included in the final diary version.

A couple months into 2019, a friend said "Oh, are you going to publish it?".  Well, this put my wheels in motion.. I'd never brought out a book before or thought of such a thing but knew someone that had self published on Amazon and had made it seem all too easy. So, I thought 'why not!' There's never been anyone writing about being in the Rutles (the real-life version, that is) and people may find my meager ramblings intriguing.. and no one else seems like they're going to do it. So, here I am!

Once I started thinking in book terms, it had to have a title and vibe. I ended up calling the diary 'Socks On' (life as a Rutle). This came as a result of a fan's picture (Steve Whittle) of my feet and legs, close up onstage at the Philharmonic Halls, Liverpool. I was wearing long, stripe-y coloured socks with white trousers and this image said it all really. Thanks for the Pic.

Well, after learning all about self publishing as I went.. you can now see the results in the new publication in Kindle and Paperback form. See below for a link and details to my first and brand new book! :) Thanks for reading folks, would love to hear your reactions.

Here's to the new 'Get Up and Go Again' Tour 2019! See you all soon, Much Lurv Phil x

The book is available as a signed copy through my Bandcamp site https://philjackson.bandcamp.com/merch/socks-on-life-as-a-rutle-signed-book

Or click for the book below on Amazon, or search 'Socks On (Life as a Rutle) by Phil Jackson


No comments:

Post a Comment